The efficiency of processing structural steels is always a topical issue. At one time, the result of research in this area was the emergence of new steel grades, the purpose of which was exclusively the production of various tools and related equipment. Naturally, the materials also received a suitable name – they became instrumental.
Alloys with a carbon content of at least 0.7% are considered instrumental. They have a martensitic structure. But, in rare cases, the basis may be ledburite.
The special properties of alloys, when compared with other types, include:
– impressive indicators of hardness, reaching 65 Rockwell units;
– convincing strength characteristics, with a level of temporary tensile strength of at least 900 megapascals;
– significant resistance to abrasive influences;
– redness. Tool steel sheet is able to maintain its strength when exposed to high temperature;
– the ability of alloys to thermal hardening;
– high viscosity, which is especially important in the manufacture of elements subjected to strong impacts.
The only drawback can only be called low wear resistance, which excludes the use of tool alloys in the details of various mechanisms subjected to constant load.
There are three types of tool steels:
– carbon containing carbon in prevailing concentrations, but without alloying additives. In the marking, the presence of the main element is indicated by the letter “U”, and the subsequent numbers indicate its volume in the composition, in hundredths and tenths of a percent. Alloys are used in the production of woodworking, plumbing and pneumatic tools, knives, scalpels, razor blades and other products that are not subjected to thermal effects during operation;
– doped. Tool steel sheets contain various alloying elements introduced, during the production process, into the charge or molten metal. Added in certain quantities, they are able to provide the metal with the required properties, adjusting its strength, heat resistance, chemical resistance, hardness, and so on. Doping can be performed by adding manganese, silicon, chromium, nickel, copper, nitrogen, vanadium, niobium, tungsten, selenium, cobalt, beryllium, molybdenum, boron, titanium, aluminum to the composition. Combining the composition and proportion of alloying elements, allows you to make a sheet of tool steel to order, which will be endowed with the necessary performance properties. Alloy alloys are used in the production of cutters of various types, drills, taps, countersinks, knives, reference gears, various critical parts operating under high pressure and at sufficiently high and low temperatures, small hammer dies and other products;
– high-speed, manufactured with or without alloying. Accordingly, depending on the technology used, the presented tool steels have the characteristics of alloyed or carbon steels, as well as the corresponding classification. These alloys are distinguished by increased resistance to plastic deformation, significant hardness, wear resistance at high temperatures, thermal stability, which allows them to maintain their abilities at temperatures up to 6500 degrees. Mainly used in the production of cutting tools.
Where can I buy
It is always possible to purchase tool steel in the required volumes and at an affordable price from A-sintez, which offers exceptionally high-quality metal products from leading domestic and foreign manufacturers. And using the online catalog posted on the company’s website, you can buy a sheet of tool steel in any corner of Ukraine, with fast delivery to the customer’s site.
All presented products are provided with a full manufacturer’s warranty.
Any, convenient for the client, form of payment for the purchase is possible.
Didn't find a suitable product?
For more information, please contact us or leave your contact details and we will call you back.